Sunday, August 06, 2006

They came and they conquered

I've seen a number of foreign acts in my day, especially when I was younger. Many Western musicians have stopped by to perform live in this little country of ours, and many are still including the Philippines in their world tours. Let's see. I've watched concerts done by performers like Alanis Morissette, Earth Wind & Fire, Swing Out Sister, Michael Jackson, Fra Lippo Lippi, Vanilla Ice, a boy band from Puerto Rico that used to count Ricky Martin among its members (I still can't believe I actually spent money on tickets to watch the last two, though), and some others I don't remember right now. I also wanted to watch Sting's and Linkin Park's concerts -- but didn't, for reasons that presently escape me.

Probably the foreign act that I enjoyed the most here was the concert given by Duran Duran years and years ago. I loved their songs, and I remember having a huge crush on John Taylor back in those days. So I'm pleased as punch to see that the band is once again making music -- with all the original members together again.



They're a lot older now, and you can see in the video clip that John's hairline has receded quite a bit. Heh, doesn't matter.

I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but there's just something about certain bass players (bassists?) that I find soooo fucking sexy. ;-)


6 comments:

flamin said...

i dont know why but i never liked duran duran too much. never got to attend concerts because dad didn't like us going to 'such' places :)

and personally, i'm not big on going to concerts because i hate crowded places. but if ever, i'd love to watch linkin park perform - i LOVE them!

Photo Cache said...

You rock. I never go to concerts despite the fact that I love to listen to music. Just like the previous comment, I too do not like crowded places. I know this is pathetic but I would love to see Kenny Rogers, and most of all EAGLES, though their concert prices are really pricey, so out of reach. BTW, EAGLES is not pathetic okay, just KR, just clarifying that.

Gumby said...

DD? Completely back together? They were one of my favorite "MTV Bands" in the 80's. Their videos were so hot! And I loved Simon...

Lizza said...

MD,
I don't much like crowded places myself, but once in a while I brave the crowds if I really want to see something. A friend of mine watched the Linkin Park show here and her only complaint was that the concert was too short -- it lasted only for an hour or so.

Photo,
It's fun to watch concerts with friends, especially if you enjoy the music (even if it is KR!) ;-D

Gumby,
Yes! They've all been together again for some years now. Simon made a samba version of "Save a Prayer" with Sylvio Anastacio. It's fantastic. You can listen to a sample of the song here.

Mike said...

ewww! Vanilla Ice!?! lol

Ya know, I couldn't stand Duran Duran back when I was a teenager, but I have to say that I really, really like alot of their old music - 'Rio' is absolutely one of my all-time favorites! (please don't tell anyone I said that tho) :-)

Lizza said...

Mike,

Hahaha! I know, I can't believe I actually watched Vanilla Ice (but I remember loving Ice Ice Baby when I was a teenager). I hope my taste in music has improved since then. :-)