Monday, August 07, 2006

My cat is in your garden

I haven't been watching TV lately, but last night I did some catching up (if you can call enjoying a trifecta of CSI re-runs catching up). They were all good, but the CSI:New York episode I saw was particularly interesting.

It went something like this. There was a woman working as a hostess in an upscale restaurant. She'd get the calling cards that male guests would leave in the restaurant's card bowl. Then she'd call them up anonymously and start the conversation with the line "My cat is in your garden." Many of the guys were intrigued by her approach and several of them ended up having phone sex with her. She never told them who she was or where she got their numbers; she'd call them a number of times over a span of weeks until they became obsessed with those calls. She agrees to meet one of them for some nookie -- and is found dead shortly after.

Some of this sounds strange to me. I do understand that a guy who has anonymous phone sex over a period of time might want to take it a step further, to meet his phone lover personally and have honest to goodness, real sex with her. But what if when he meets her for the first time he sees that she's actually butt-ugly, or that she has halitosis, or that she bears a strong resemblance to a purple female dinosaur? Would the fantasy that he's built up in his head about her over the weeks be strong enough to override her faults -- would he still go ahead and screw her?

The idea that men can get turned on by anonymous conversations (even if it's sex talk) with women about whom they know nothing seems strange to me too. If I answer the phone and some male stranger feeds me a line like "My cat is in your garden," I'd hang up pronto. Men are from Mars, women are from Venus indeed.



I think I'll go ask Andrew what he thinks about this aspect of the difference between men and women. He's kinda like the Gil Grissom of interpersonal relations. I will update this post once I get his expert opinion.

11 comments:

Gumby said...

My own personal expert opinion is that Men Are Pigs. And I'm speaking as one of the aforementioned porkers.

Lizza said...

Hahaha! You are priceless, Gumby.

Reeholio said...

Come on Lizza, not everything you watch on TV is real! Next you'll be telling us that man really did land on the moon in the sixties...

Lizza said...

LOL! Of course I know not everything on TV is real, Rhys. That particular CSI episode just made me wonder. :-)

Haha @ your moon landing comment. I saw a documentary about that topic some time ago -- on the Discovery Channel, I think. Very interesting.

Rose Ghost said...

Freeeky! But interesting.

lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

men are dogs. theyll do anything that moves. all they need is a pair of beer goggles. or a paperbag even.

Lizza said...

Hi Ghost,
Interesting indeed. :-)

Hello Universe,
But dogs are adorable, funny, and lovable too. Many of them are protective, make good protectors, and they're great to snuggle up to (among other things) as well. :-D

Thank you both for visiting my blog.

Sony said...

When I get calls that start with strange women (or men even) telling me something that indicates an interest in phone sex with a total stranger (or anything outside my normal comfort zone), I too hang up. Mostly because I'm paranoid and remember being in college and getting pranked by drunked dormmates who would try to lure naive people into saying embarrasing things on a speaker phone full of drunks down the hall.

I always left them extremely disappointed.

My motto: Never say anything on a phone that you wouldn't say in a very public way, like on the news or at your next family reunion. You never know who's on the other line.

Great blog by the by. Found it in a six degrees kinda way through Gumby's site (who I found via John at Always Dreaming...). So really a three degrees kinda way in this case.

Lizza said...

Thank you, Sony.

I've visited your blog too just a little while ago. I greatly liked what I saw. I'll surely visit more often.

Gumby's blog is unwittingly acting the role of a pimp, LOL

Mike said...

*(This has nothing to do with this particular post, but I've already commented in two others)

I just wanted to say thank you for visiting my blog (or should I say for actually continuing to return). You're personality really comes through in your posts, and you seem like quite an interesting person! I'm glad I ran across you.....

Lizza said...

Thanks Mike!

I really enjoy reading your posts, that's why I lurk in your area of the blogosphere. :-)