Thursday, November 06, 2008

Blogblast for Peace: November 2008

"Mims, I need a huge favor."

So started a comedy of errors between me and Mimi Lenox a few days ago, when I asked her to email me all the Peace Globes in her gallery. After several failed attempts, we finally succeeded. With the help of Mimi and an awesome free program called AndreaMosaic, my Peace Globe for November 6, 2008 was born.


But much of the credit for my Peace Globe goes to each and every blogger who has participated in Dona Nobis Pacem at one time or another since the movement started two years ago. For each and every Peace Globe from November 2006 to November 3, 2008 is in there somewhere - a few of them even appear several times.

(If you want a closer look, click here. But be warned: it's one heck of a big file and it'll take quite some time before it loads fully. Then you can zoom in and look at each tile when it's done.)

Isn't it amazing how people from all over the world contribute to the big picture we call peace in many different little ways? And we do this in spite of our differences. It doesn't really matter if our politics are different; it doesn't matter if I prefer salty food and you like spicy; it makes no real difference if you like being on top and he/she prefers otherwise; it's fine if he believes in the Holy Trinity and she believes in Allah and I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster; it doesn't even matter if I like beer and you don't (though I'm thankful several of my online and offline friends enjoy some form of alcohol on occasion - I'd be so lonely otherwise). Thank heavens for diversity, life would be so boring if we were all alike.

Paradoxically, though, we are also all the same.

We laugh, we cry, we bleed, we heal, we get mad, we sing, we dance, we think, we dream, we live, we die, we love. It's what we humans have been doing for millennia, and it's what we'll keep on doing in the years to come.

Will there ever be an end to conflict? I don't think so; the differences in our natures and beliefs are fertile grounds for conflict. But maybe one day we can resolve conflict without having to resort to inflicting violence on fellow humans and Mother Nature - and get along peacefully despite our differences.

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great one. I plan to have my up when the 6th dawns here.

Maire said...

I didn't know you were a fellow pastafarian!

I wish I was better organised, but I never seem to have time to have a post from Dona Nobia Pacem, but I always mean to.

Lizza said...

Citizen: Looking forward to reading your post and seeing your Peace Globe.

Aunty: And one day you will! R'Amen!

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Love your globe, lady! Great job. Your post is right on target. Peace!

Lizza said...

Thank you very much, Bud! I had fun doing it.

Sidney said...

A very inspiring post !
Wonderful Peace Globe!

Lizza said...

Thanks, Sidney. Glad you liked both. :-)

Terra Shield said...

A very poignant message you've give us, and seriously, your globe rocks!

Mimi Lenox said...

Ahhhhh.....the magnificent globe has arrived for BlogBlast. Oh the chills I got when I first saw it. Seriously, people! You won't be able to take your eyes off of it. It's mesmerizing and poignant. We're all there. This globe really says it all. PLEASE do yourselves a favor and go see the big version of it. It is S.P.E.C.T.A.C.U.L.A.R.

And Lizza, even though we had a comedy of errors getting it started, we had a lot of laughs!

Peace and love to you, my friend.
Mimi

P.S. I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster too.

Mimi Lenox said...

P.S.S. Your writing, as always, stellar.

Anonymous said...

great Peace Globe!!

~*~Patty S said...

Sending you *Peace*Love*Light* oxo

Travis Cody said...

Oh well done Lizza!

Peace!

Raven said...

Wow! What an awesome cool idea. I will have to come back at some point and study your masterpiece. Meanwhile I wish you and all of us Peace.

Anonymous said...

Peace to you out there!

Barbara said...

Peace be with you Lizza.

Anonymous said...

where can I find the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Lizza said...

Terra: Thanks! We're all having a rockin' good time.

Mimi: It was worth it. I hope you're getting some rest in between receiving Peace Globes and flying all over blog world today.

Fickleminded: Thank you!

Patty: Same to you.

Trav: Many thanks, my friend.

Raven: Thanks so much, glad you liked it. Peace to you and yours too.

Arlene: Thank you, and same to you.

Barbara: Peace to you as well.

Lizza said...

Nursemyra: It's somewhere between the fridge and the dinner table.

Hootin Anni said...

After reading how your globe came about, this to me, shows peace in the making. Not a pun on words either. But, when one helps another, that is the BEGINNING of peaceful world.

Come on over, and read my impressions of peace if you can find time today.

Michelle said...

Wow. The mosaic is amazing and incredibly beautiful. It must have taken you ages to do. My mind boggles! Thank you for sharing it.

Ivanhoe said...

OMG! What an idea! You mean my previous one is there somewhere in yours? That's amazing. Peace & love to you :o)

Billie Greenwood said...

Fantastic concept. It took so much commitment and dedication to execute it. May we all work equally hard to achieve peace. Thanks for the inspiration.

j said...

What an absolutely AMAZING idea. I am honored to be a part of your peace globe.

I hope that you have a peace filled day.

Durward Discussion said...

Words are innocent. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little: Say "Peace"

Kanani said...

Really enjoyed your globe and your post. How we respond to our differences really pretty much sums up who we are!

Lizza said...

Anni: Thank you very much, I'll be right over!

Michelle: I had fun doing it, but it wasn't that hard - thanks to a program called AndreaMosaic. :-)

Ivanhoe: Yes! One of your past Peace Globes is in there somewhere. It's so cool.

Border Explorer: I was hoping it would turn out well, and it did, thanks to all of you.

Jennifer: I am honored to be with all of you in spirit today.

Jamie: And they're so powerful, too!

Kanani: Thank you very much. Trying to get along with each other isn't impossible, and the effort is worth it.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

The world shrinks, making peace so much more important. Thanks for posting this! And, man, that Mimi works it to get this thing going!

Kanani said...

Glad to see the Flying Spaghetti Monster is alive and well. I've always said, there's room for one more diety!

Lizza said...

Hahn: The phrase "it's a small world" certainly rings true. Mimi is a busy bee. I hope she stocked up on lots of coffee and cookies.

Kanani: The Noodly Appendage touches all, nourishes all. :-D

ShannonW said...

Amazing! I looked at it in the larger size and I love it!!! What an excellent idea!

Peace!

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. And your Peace Globe is awesome! I know I have a couple of images in there, so thank you. Amazing creativity!

Finding Pam said...

Brilliant! Peace to you...

Akelamalu said...

What a great Peace Globe! Peace to you and yours. :)

Mimi Lenox said...

Just strolling by to say hello and pick up the amazing peace vibe...see ya later...

Lizza said...

Shannon: So glad you like it. Peace to you too.

Lee: Thank you very much! Yes, yours are in there.

Finding Pam: Thanks, and peace to you too.

Akelamalu: Thank you, and same to you.

Mimi: I know you're flying high. Thanks for dropping in again on such a busy day for you.

Julie said...

Wow! I have heard of this program! How cool!

May the spirit of peace over take!

Sandee said...

Awesome. This must have taken you a very long time to put together. It's beautiful. Peace to you and yours. :)

Pecos Blue said...

That is really great Peace on my birthday. I could not ask for more.

Margo Moon said...

Incredible! That's like looking at Peace Globes from space.

Wow. Peace to you!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Wonderful peace globe - love the canvas texture. Happy Blogblast For Peace Day!

Lizza said...

Sandee: Thank you very much!

Pecos blue: Happy birthday! Wishing you happiness and peace.

Margo moon: Thank you! Glad you liked it.

Julia: Thank you! Happy Blogblast for Peace Day to you too.

Anonymous said...

Now that's a stunning peace globe - but hey... it's YOURS, I expected nothing else :-)

Love and Peace to you and yours!

Sukhaloka said...

Oh wow. Love that piece of art, it's really puts the awe in awesome!
And that's a very beautiful post too :)