Saturday, December 23, 2006

Blogworld Saturday

We're just a few days away from Christmas -- where did all the days, weeks, and months go? Time seems to fly so fast these days. Maybe I'm just getting old. I've been prone to thinking about what transpired throughout the year; as John Smith says in the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith: "I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning." Except my ruminations aren't confined to just the beginning.

Anywaaaay...

On to the penultimate Blogworld Saturday for two-oh-oh-six (which has been a most interesting year, a year of discovery to say the least).

Irene is a fellow Filipina blogger who has an excellent, excellent post about why she opts to stay here in the Philippines in spite of the decision of her friends to seek greener pastures abroad. I can relate to her post: my siblings live in other countries now (though one of them lives abroad nine months out of twelve since he works on a cruise ship). Travel is on my agenda (crossing my fingers for next year!) but this sweet, heartachingly beautiful, and quirky country is where I want to live, notwithstanding the hardship as well as the farce that goes by the name of politics.

Oregon's Scott is a diverse writer. He blogs about everything from the size of his poo to balls to NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). But his post about perfectionism, love, death, and adroit pizza-making (yes, they're all related) held me in thrall.

My blog buddy Kiyotoe is another person whose writings I enjoy. He can talk about everyday things, but in such an insightful and thought-provoking way. Case in point: his entry about how looks can be deceiving. Judging people by how they look is a common failing and it can prove disadvantageous for both the judge and the one being judged.

Snap judgments are made by both women and men--or the "rougher sex," as Aileen calls them. This rough-and-tumble species can be many things that drive women to despair, but they can be such adorable, exhilarating creatures too. Read about what Aileen loves most about the menfolk in a post that she wrote recently.

The war between the sexes may never come to an end (do we want it to?) but wishing for an end to other kinds of war is something that most of us do. Mimi Lenox has taken a step towards uniting and solidifying these wishes--at least amongst us bloggers--with an initiative called Dona Nobis Pacem. If you missed the maiden voyage, which launched successfully on November 7, 2006 and want to take part in Round 2 on December 24, 2006, just go to her BlogBlast for Peace site, download a Peace Globe, write your name across it, and post it in a blog entry on Sunday, Christmas Eve. At least two other bloggers have been helping Mimi spread the word: Sanni and Prometheus. Like a snowball it's gathering momentum.

Speaking of snow, I was simply bowled over by pictures posted by Ian and Sunrunner showing the incredible amount of snow that fell where they live in Colorado during a recent snowstorm. Here in Metro Manila, Christmas is almost always dry and balmy. But I couldn't help being captivated by the pure, silent beauty of those images of snow.

Bloggers have been writing about what they've been cooking and eating this holiday season, but Michael's post about reindeer hotdogs gave me pause. Poor Rudolph, Dancer, Comet, and the rest of the team. I hope they were too busy to read Michael's blog this month!

What would Christmas be without a little song and merrymaking? Frank Sirianni's 12 Days of Christmas and Matt-man's Christmas Carol are prime examples of these two rolled into one. Sure, they're a bit irreverent and naughty, but what the hey. 'Tis the season to be jolly and these two made me go ho ho ho ha ha ha!

Thanks to Wendz and Sanni for my Christmas presents: virtual bikinis! Now if only I could get the belly to disappear so that I can wear one in real life. :-D
Have a great weekend, everyone. Let the bells jingle and tintinnabulate. Happy Holidays to all of you!



powered by ODEO
Carol of the Bells (David Benoit)

16 comments:

thethinker said...

Happy Holidays to you as well! (And great tree, by the way. Ours looks pathetic in comparison.)

Unknown said...

I am smiling a bit to find your Saturday post, because in my part of the world it is still Friday, 22p.m. =)

Thanks for the shout-out!

And, oh, I didn´t know Wendz gave you a bikini as well. Sorry! I don´t mind if you put the one I gave you on ebay *haha*

Take care +
Happy Holidays, dear Lizza!

Lizza said...

Thinker: Haha, thanks. But I think your tree looks great as well (at least that's what the picture on your blog shows!)

Sanni: Nope, I won't be putting it up on ebay. A girl can't have too many bikinis!

Kiyotoe said...

i get all my insightful and thought provoking stuff from fortune cookies. :)

thanks Lizza. btw, tree looks great.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Happy, Happy! Merry, too.

Odat said...

Hey...you're new pic is great as well as the new look on your blog...i love it!!!! Merry everything to you as well!!!!
Peace

Aileen said...

I'm loving your blog! Glad I found it...

And thanks for the shout out!

Scott from Oregon said...

Cheers! Thanks! And happy Holdays even if it isn't snowing in your backyard!

H said...

Liz, have a wonderful christmas... and hey, your new colours are good!

Lizza said...

Kiyotoe: Thanks! Southern US fortune cookies must be pretty special then. :-)

Bud: Merry and happy to you too!

Odat: Thank you very much! Love and peace to you, dear gal.

Aileen: You're welcome. I'm glad I found your blog, too. :-)

Scott: Snow looks beautiful, but we're doing good without it. :-) Cheers to you too!

H: Have a wonderful holiday season as well, my soul sister. But I'm pretty sure you're already having a BLAST! :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Lizza! I LOVE this new lay-out. I've been out of town the past week, so forgive me if it is only now that I've come to notice the change. The new look is fresh, calm, artistic, and alive - all at the same time.

A very happy holidays to you and your loved ones. Cheers! =)

Lizza said...

Hi Migs! Thank you very much. :-) I hope you had fun in the Pine City. It's great to have you back.

Michael C said...

I'll stick to beef hot dogs after posting the reindeer dog thing. No one knows what's in beef hot dogs, but at least they don't contain reindeer meat. Or do they.....
;-)

Lizza said...

I sure hope they don't, Michael! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and New Year...and a happy, happy birthday as well. :-)

H said...

Darling Lizzzzaaa! Merry merry merry chirstmass to you and your family.

love ya soul sister!
H

Lizza said...

Happy holidays, dear soul sista! Much love and peace to you.