Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Fame Is Rot; Daughters Are the Thing

*mad applause to you if you know where the title comes from, and who said it (and no googling!)

Her nickname is Kitkat, but I call her my mini-me, because she's the one who resembles me the most physically.

When it comes to temperament and attitude though, the resemblance between me and her older sister is more evident. Shy to a fault, preferring to listen than to talk, content to sit unobtrusively somewhere and watch and absorb everyday sightings.

Not so the mini-me. She probably should've been christened Action.

She makes her opinions known, either through speech or body language, or both. And her body language is so very dynamic! Any moment she sits still somewhere, I worry that she's sick. That girl is one heck of a dynamo -- even when she's feeling a bit under the weather. I remember one time when she was running a fever, and her pediatrician asked me if she was getting up and walking. I replied that I hardly ever see mini-me "walk." Most of the time, she runs, or skips, or hops, or sings at the top of her voice, or wiggles her generous behind, or waves her arms. Quite often, it's a combination of several of those things.

She is pediatric poetry on steroids.

She's also the kind of person who can make you shake your head in exasperation or cause your brow to wrinkle in consternation -- and at the same time have your heart feel like it's about to burst out of your chest and shower the world with goodwill-plasma out of sheer love.

She's so very affectionate too. I can't count the number of times I've awakened to her sweeet butterfly kisses on my cheeks, eyelids, forehead, and lips. Her personal well of hugs is seemingly bottomless, just like her wells of laughter and love.

Happy 8th birthday, my baby girl. May your sparkling, buoyant wells never run dry. I love you.

A mother's kiss

8 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

Ahh...butterfly kisses. What a wonderful child.

Lizza said...

I never get tired of butterfly kisses.

And yes, she's a wonderful child. I'm so lucky!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Happy birthday mini-Lizza!!!!! Now.... look after your mother, get rich and famous and shower her with gifts ...... and if you need my address to send money just let me know .....

[The man who portrayed the originator of that quotation in a fairly recent film looks as though he could be my twin brother - tee hee]

Lizza said...

Gadzooks! You really are my mad-hatter virtual daddy. Though you're probably more of a Don Juan than he is (in your dreams).

In lieu of money, my daughter will someday send you a t-shirt that says something like "I belong to the daughter of she-who-blogs, who was stoked by DaddyPapersurfer."

Photo Cache said...

One day soon she'll post a reply to this on her blog.

Happy b/day to your mini me. You both are lucky to have each other.

70steen said...

ooo Belated Happy Birthday mini-Lizza.... love the description of her....it gave me such a warm feeling in my tummy :-)...... beautiful photo of you both and the photo of your 'aqua son' you left over at my place is so awesome....:-)

Lizza said...

Thank you, 70s! Our kids...they drive us up the wall, but we love them to death anyhow.

One of the best things about them...seeing the best of ourselves in how they talk or the way they act, multiplied to the nth degree!

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous photo