Saturday, October 25, 2008

Blogworld Saturday

I'm feeling a tad nostalgic for what used to be - at least when it comes to blogging. When I started this blog two years ago, it never even entered my mind I'd "meet" some terrifically awesome people online through their own blogs. Sadly, some of these people don't update their blogs anymore, which I think is a crying shame since they're among the people whose writing I really, really enjoyed reading.

Two noteworthy blogger friends who have been missing from the blogging world come to mind:

The World of Yaxlich. This young Englishman has shared so much of his life with us: from his experiences with agoraphobic Peruvians to the raison d'etre of Daddy Longlegs to the effectiveness of curing hiccups with a digital rectal massage. Wherever he is and whatever he's doing now, I hope he is well.

The Moving (Middle) Finger Writes. I was entirely seduced by how Prometheus wrote when I first read his blog posts two years ago. Over the months and years, this fantastic Indian blogger touched on topics such as Celtic poetry, leetspeak, samurai songs, and many others. I know he's been very busy, hence the very sporadic blog posts. And especially now, when he's just reached a major turning point in his life. Mon ami, if you're reading this, you know I and your other blogging pals share in your joy.

I'm happy to say, though, that many of my other blogging buddies are soldiering on. Which is just another way of saying I'm glad they keep posting regularly. Here are two of them:

- When it comes to sex it isn’t about whether or not, at my age. It is all about compatibility. You have to actually like doing the same things. I do not care how “hot” a woman is if the sex sucks. No, no, no, those aren't my words. They're by Mr. Bud Weiser, from his post Long Ride to Beantown, at WTIT Tape Radio. Bud occasionally lets loose some sublime insights every now and then on various topics, such as incidences of civil status discrimination - even though they're sometimes committed unwillingly - which are a pain in the ass. But lots of guys will be glad to know that Bud regularly posts lots of pictures of semi-naked chicks.

- Diesel's back-to-back posts about murdering the English language over at Mattress Police: This is not a compendia of erratum and Ask Diesel about language stuff. Ever wondered about the consequences of scratching your scrota behind podia? Be more terrified of misusing the apostrophe and comma. I'm kidding. Diesel's not actually a card-carrying member of the Third Reich of Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation; he just has kittens whenever he sees flagrant misuse of the English language in business communication. Personal bloggers are safe from his red pen, thank goodness. Heaven knows just how many times I've inadvertently (?) bludgeoned this language.

Have a non-violent weekend, folks. Next up, I'll talk about a movie I saw very recently (like a few hours ago) and how it made me think - an activity DaddyPapersurfer actively discourages - and for good reason!

Oh, and I almost forgot. You can call me Ingrid if you manage to somehow forget my name. Eerie how spot-on (or way off the mark) these crazy online quizzes can be sometimes.

Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? Or Someone Else? Mad Men-era Female Icon Quiz...

You Are an Ingrid!

mm.ingrid_.jpg
You are an Ingrid -- "I am unique" [just like billions of other people, I guess]

Ingrids have sensitive feelings and are warm and perceptive.

How to Get Along with Me
  • Give me plenty of compliments. They mean a lot to me.

  • Be a supportive friend or partner. Help me to learn to love and value myself.

  • Respect me for my special gifts of intuition and vision.

  • Though I don't always want to be cheered up when I'm feeling melancholy, I sometimes like to have someone lighten me up a little.

  • Don't tell me I'm too sensitive or that I'm overreacting!

What I Like About Being an Ingrid
  • my ability to find meaning in life and to experience feeling at a deep level

  • my ability to establish warm connections with people

  • admiring what is noble, truthful, and beautiful in life

  • my creativity, intuition, and sense of humor

  • being unique and being seen as unique by others

  • having aesthetic sensibilities

  • being able to easily pick up the feelings of people around me

What's Hard About Being an Ingrid
  • experiencing dark moods of emptiness and despair

  • feelings of self-hatred and shame; believing I don't deserve to be loved

  • feeling guilty when I disappoint people

  • feeling hurt or attacked when someone misundertands me

  • expecting too much from myself and life

  • fearing being abandoned

  • obsessing over resentments

  • longing for what I don't have

Ingrids as Children Often
  • have active imaginations: play creatively alone or organize playmates in original games

  • are very sensitive

  • feel that they don't fit in

  • believe they are missing something that other people have

  • attach themselves to idealized teachers, heroes, artists, etc.

  • become anti-authoritarian or rebellious when criticized or not understood

  • feel lonely or abandoned (perhaps as a result of a death or their parents' divorce)

Ingrids as Parents
  • help their children become who they really are

  • support their children's creativity and originality

  • are good at helping their children get in touch with their feelings

  • are sometimes overly critical or overly protective

  • are usually very good with children if not too self-absorbed


8 comments:

Terra Shield said...

Hmmm... I miss the both of them as well.

Anonymous said...

I did the quiz and I'm a Bette! fairly accurate except for the bit about being a controlling parent. my sons tell cringeworthy tales about my "lack of control"

Maire said...

I'm a Doris!

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Thanks for the shout. I do actually make a lot of sense by accident every now and then. One thing that is amazing about the semi naked pics. 95% of my readers are women. There's a message there somewhere... ;) Happy weekend!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I don't mind you thinking really ..... it's quite fun to watch ..... most of the time .....


GREAT BIG *HUGS* ..... [ignoring family members [if only] my first and loyalist blog lover - tee hee]

Anonymous said...

A happy non-violent weekend to you, too, Ingrid.

Mimi Lenox said...

Prometheus has my heart this weekend. I miss him too!

Mimi Lenox said...

Whatever happened to Yaxlich? November always makes me nostalgic.