It's a universal belief that the only constant thing in life is change. But if that's the case, then is truth itself not constant? Won't that make it harder for us to believe in something (or someone)if the basis of our hopes or dreams is just about as stationary as the hips of one who is nanoseconds away from having a mind-blowing orgasm?
Of course, certain truths are immutable. For instance, even if you turn the world upside down and inside out, two and two will always add up to four (although a friend told me that this doesn't always happen. Whatever. You probably get what I mean). But many other things are not always so clear-cut (thank heavens) and these can make for some pretty thought-provoking, interesting, entertaining, or even stupid, conversations. Here's a list of some of the things that I've observed to be true in my 35 years of existence. Sure, they're subjective, but they're mine. And this leads us to my Truth Number One:
1. One person's truth is another person's bullshit.
2. Meeting rotten people is in fact good for us. It makes us appreciate our real friends even more and realize how lucky we are to have them.
3. Anger is (usually) no excuse for rudeness.
4. Some of the funniest people are the loneliest.
5. Drinking beer helps relieve PMS... a lot!
6. Children understand more than we think they do.
7. Having a holier-than-thou attitude only makes someone look stupid since each one of us has a naughty or downright evil side to our personalities.
8. Just when you thought you got the better end of a bargain, you'll see another store that sells the same thing at a much lower price.
9. People don't really know their own selves as well as they think they do. They act out of character sometimes (like maybe get an extra ear piercing at 35)and be surprised by the fact that they could do such a thing.
10. People who boast that they don't lie, do.
11. People who think that they're God's gift to the opposite sex, aren't.
12. Kindness is becoming a lost commodity. Good people aren't necessarily kind people.
13. A person with a healthy sense of humor always achieves success in one form or another.
14. No matter what precautions you take to avoid it, shit does happen. You can't always prevent it, so do the next best thing -- learn how to deal with it.
I'll add to this list periodically.